Wednesday 30 November 2016

Copying files to Azure Storage Blob


I was assigned a SR today to move files from a local server onto  Azure Blob storage.
The web application is being moved to Azure and I needed a way to move the files to the container created as part of the application setup. Initially I investigated Microsoft Azure Storage Explorer . I liked the look of it but had some issues with it. I had to transfer nearly 8000 folders and the app seem to crash if I dragged in more than 30 at a time.





After some searching I came across AZCopy  and this did the trick. Its usage is straight forward. You download it as part of the Microsoft Azure Storage tools package.



Once installed you start the Microsoft Azure Storage Command Line from your Start menu.


I wanted to ensure the nearly 8,000 folders and 38,000 files got copied over and I did this with the following command

AzCopy /Source:C:\myfolder /Dest:https://myaccount.blob.core.windows.net/mycontainer /DestKey:key /S


Replace key with the key specified on your Azure storage account




You can now browse your blob container and all folders should be there




1 comment: